Pages

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Sketches that Sing: Creating Sketches with a Life of their Own - with Lynne Chapman

I admire Lynne Chapman's way of playing with colour. So again, choosing her workshop was a no-brainer for me.

I was as curious to meet the person as I was about her workshop and I knew I would definitely learn a lot from her.

We were focusing on different points: composition, colour and mark-making. A more detailed description can be found here.

I have to admit that this workshop was one of the most challenging ones for me. Playful and fun, but challenging. As I mentioned in a previous post: using colour is not my forte.

However, I think I didn't do too badly and, although I still have to work on my colour use and technique, I think I lost a bit of my apprehension and started to enjoy just playing with it.

This sketch was about composition. We had to think the way we framed the sketch in order to make it more dramatic, by going very close to the subject and "cutting" it on at least two sides.

Lynne suggested the use of colour (obviously, lol). I think it works very well here and I like experimenting with it now.
Another exercise had us combine only 3 colours, each in a different medium and use mark-making to make the drawing more dramatic.

This exercise definitely had me leave my comfort zone and I think I still have to experiment with it a lot before I completely "get it".

I used a yellow marker, a red pencil and a blue watercolour pencil.
All in all, this was a very fun morning. Lynne Chapman's love for sketching is very contagious and I can't wait to experiment more on what I learned from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment